Argus: Letter from the editor

We are elated to announce that the theme for the 2018-2019 edition of Argus is Madrugada: Before Dawn. The word “Madrugada” is Spanish for the time of day before the first lights have graced the sky and has no direct translation into English. However, the word evokes powerful emotions and imagery from the time of day when the world still sleeps as the few begin to open their eyes.

This theme encompasses the feelings of harmony and stillness of the early morning while also including the beginning stirrings of thoughts and actions for the day. Before the beginning, before the day has yet to start, this is the setting of abundant possibilities and the realization of dreams from the night before. As Paulo Coelho wrote in The Alchemist, “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”

Keeping the theme in mind, we encourage all students to submit their poetry, fiction, nonfiction, art, and photography to ArgusNSU.submittable.com/submit before Dec. 4, 2018. Students must use their school email, and we ask that written pieces be no longer than 8 pages double-spaced. Students can submit as many pieces as they want and for as many categories as they would like. There is a cash prize for each category for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, chosen by unbiased outside judges, so the more pieces you submit in each category, the better your chances are of placing! If you have any questions, email us at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing your interpretations of this theme and how it inspires you to write fantastic pieces or capture beautiful works of art! Whether you believe in ample possibilities or that the darkest hour always comes before the dawn, we cannot wait to see your vision of Madrugada: Before Dawn.

Photo by Allie Atkinson.