Jourdan Waddell crowned 61st Miss Northwestern Lady of the Bracelet

Sophomore Jourdan Waddell was crowned the 61st Miss Northwestern Lady of the Bracelet in A.A. Fredrick’s Auditorium Saturday. Waddell, a psychology major from Slidell, Louisiana, also took home the Swimsuit, Talent and People’s Choice Awards.

Waddell plans to use her personal platform for mental health awareness throughout the university.

“I work at the counseling office here at Northwestern, so having the opportunity to already work in the office is going to let me use this title to promote mental health with the students,” said Waddell.

Placing first runner up was McKay Crews, a sophomore from Bossier City, Louisiana. Coming in second runner-up was Casey Sakai Williams, a sophomore from Leesville, Louisiana.

The outgoing Miss Northwestern Lady of the Bracelet, Aly Jacobs, had some thoughtful words about her year as Lady of the Bracelet.

“It’s a feeling that you can’t describe,” Jacobs said. “You get the opportunity to do that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to do. As an individual [who has] done Freshman Connection and been super involved and did sorority life, it’s nothing like that. I get to truly hold a tradition that 60 women before me got to hold, so it really sums up feeling inside of me that has been fantastic.”

The emcee for the pageant was Miss Louisiana Holli’ Conway.

Conway had just touched down in Louisiana a few days prior after competing for Miss America in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Conway performed her vocal talent “I Believe” by Fantasia Barrino.

“I felt enveloped in love, looking out into the audience after I sang and seeing them all standing up on their feet meant so much to me because I knew that I knew every one of them personally,” said Conway.

The new Miss Northwestern Lady of the Bracelet will go on to compete for the title of Miss Louisiana next summer, a title Waddell already competed for in June, where she placed in the Miss Louisiana top five.

Photo by Mekayla Jenkins.