Student reacts to President Trump’s State of the Union address

By John Lee Hurt.

I tuned in to our president’s State of the Union address Tuesday night. It was an inspirational message that had facts, touching moments, and moments that made you scratch your head. I wouldn’t expect less from President Trump.

Since the address, Facebook was filled with comments like “I didn’t watch that child speak” or “He was so full of lies, I didn’t pay him attention.” That’s where I have to roll my eyes.

CBS News decided to fact check him. Most of his “lies” were proven true or mostly true. The “mostly true” statements would be statistics that were off by a percentage or two.

Other “lies” he told were that in the 100 years since we passed the 19th Amendment, there are more woman members of Congress than ever before. That’s awesome. That’s wonderful. The crowds cheered for it so much that they chanted “USA” in the chamber. It gave me positive chills to hear that.

Another “lie” that people couldn’t have been bothered to hear was it’s been 15 months since a North Korean missile test. That’s great, too. I wish my grandpa who served in the Korean War was still alive to see this peace. Luckily, other Korean veterans are still around to see it. Korea is still a threat, but it’s a start.

In the past few years, we’ve seen lower levels of unemployment for minorities and those with disabilities. I’m happy to see more of my fellow Americans working. That’s what making America great again looks like.

In the same time span we’ve seen medication prices skyrocket. Listen to me: medications are too damn high. His claim of people in other countries paying less for the same drug is true. We all know it. That has to stop. Our medicine made in our factories should be sold at the same low price.

Then like any political leader he made false, misleading or hard-to-prove assertions. One was that one in three women are sexually assaulted migrating to America from Central America. That’s hard to judge, but it could be plausible. He claimed that year after year Americans are killed by those entering a country illegally. Actually, they’re killed by drugs from Mexico, and very few Americans are murdered by these immigrants. All political leaders do things like this to further advance their agenda.

All-in-all, I agreed with our president and it’s good to see America getting better. We have a lot of work to do, but that’s where the true American spirit lives. We roll up our sleeves, pull up our boots and get after it.

The Make America Great Again movement isn’t some twisted neo-Nazi, new Jim Crow propaganda. It’s a chance for all Americans to be successful. It’s time we stopped depending on the federal government to hold our hands and seize the moment.

Remember, fellow Demons, they work for us. We don’t work for them.