142 students attend spring Career Fair

A total of 142 students checked into the Career Fair held on Feb. 12, 2019, in the Friedman Student Union Ballroom to connect with the 38 companies that attended.

The Career Fair, held in both the spring and fall semesters, was hosted by the Career Center located on the third floor of the Student Union. Career Fair is designed for students of all classifications to come and have an opportunity to network with different employers from a variety of industries. Students can come and learn about internship and full-time job opportunities before graduation.

The Career Fair is also angled towards helping seniors close to graduation make connections in the workforce.

“We hold them twice a year to also help graduating students who do not have a job offer yet,” Assistant Director of Career Services Randi Washington said.

Accounting student and junior Imani Ricks has attended the Career Fair all three years she has been in NSU. This year she said was “the best” because grad fest was not held in the same room and that allowed the Career Center to invite more companies.

“I honestly think more students should come,” Ricks said. “It doesn’t matter what your major is because there is something available for almost everyone. I look forward to the next career fair.”

This year, the Career Center incorporated a new platform called “Hand Shake.” It allows for students to connect even better with the employers and it personalizes career recommendations based on student and alumni interests and connections. “We have done more and we can do more now that we have Hand Shake,” Washington said.

Job Location & Development Officer Karen Loach emphasizes that anytime there are employers on campus it is important to come out and meet them.

“In the digital age, everyone thinks applying online is the way to go, but often times recruiters and companies really still want that personal connection before they move forward to hiring people,” Loach said.

“Be on the lookout for our next event and of course always come by the Career Center if you need help,” Randi said.

An NSU career consultant can be reached at 318-357-4050, or by the office on the 3rd floor of the Student Union, room 306.