Northwestern State announces beer sales at 2019 football games

NSU 23 David Fitzwater NSU 23 Nick Forde

Jason Pugh

Assistant AD for Media Relations

NATCHITOCHES – The Northwestern State Athletic Department announced Friday it has received approval to sell beer and spiked seltzers during football games at Turpin Stadium for the 2019 football season.

Northwestern State also will sell the same offerings at baseball and softball games in 2020. Northwestern State’s alcohol sales policy can be found on its website here: https://nsudemons.com/sports/2019/8/16/Alcohol%20Policy.aspx

The addition of beer sales follows a growing national trend across college athletics, including the Southeastern Conference’s decision in May to lift its longtime ban on stadium-wide alcohol sales, which had been the only such ban among any major FBS conference.

Associate Athletic Director for External Relations Dr. Haley Taitano told a capacity crowd in the Stroud Room inside the NSU Athletic Fieldhouse of the decision Thursday night at the annual Season Ticket Pickup Party. The decision was met with a round of applause and cheers.

“This addition (selling beer) to the NSU football in-game experience has been in the works for the past several years, so it is exciting for it to finally come to fruition,” NSU Director of Athletics Greg Burke said. “The fact that recent postseason surveys from our fans fervently have requested the sale of beer further reflects that this move will be a positive as it relates to fan satisfaction.”

Alcohol sales will originate from the main concession stand on the west side of Turpin Stadium as well as concession stands on the east side and the third floor of the stadium. Customers will be limited to two drinks per trip through the line and sales will end at the conclusion of the third quarter. All purchasers will be required to show their ID at the concession stands at the time of purchase.

Additionally, there will be a no re-entry policy at the stadium this season.

Sodexo, Northwestern State Athletics’ catering partner, collaborated on the policy for the sale of beer and wine at Turpin Stadium.

“Kudos to several individuals, including Haley, Sodexo General Manager Steve Kauf, and other members of our administration and campus community, for their input and due diligence that helped position our department and university for this significant in-game enhancement,” Burke said.

Added Taitano: “Beer sales will provide an increased revenue stream for NSU, not only in the form of concession sales revenue, but also through enhanced sponsorship agreements. We have been working closely with our current corporate partner, Eagle Distributing, and have recently developed a new partnership with Cane River Brewing Co. here in Natchitoches. There is an exciting announcement regarding that partnership coming soon.”

Northwestern State’s home opener is set for Sept. 7 against Midwestern State. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.