Demon Debates – Is Greek life worth it?

Thomas Celles

Reporter

Other than graduating, Greek life is probably the best thing you can do in college.

Don’t believe me? It comes down to statistics.

Ignoring the lifelong bonds of brother/sisterhood, the amazing experiences, and the leadership opportunities that come from being Greek, the benefits boil down to this: Greeks are more likely to graduate on time, more likely to have higher GPAs overall, more likely to have stronger résumés upon graduating and much more likely to be well-adjusted individuals and mentally healthy.

According to a study done by Hofstra University, 70% of Greek students nationally graduate in five years or less. For non-Greeks, that number is sitting around 50%.

Furthering the academic advantage, a study done in 2017 by economists William Even and Austin Smith found that, on average, Greek grade-point averages were between 0.1 and 0.2 points higher than non-Greek affiliated students. That could be the difference between snagging that scholarship you’ve been eyeing or graduating with honors.

Have you noticed that most leadership positions on campus are held by fraternity or sorority members? It is not because the system is rigged. Instead, it is because Greek members are more likely to be involved on campus several organizations at once on campus.

As for mental health, let us refer to mental health expert and advocate Ross Szabo. You may remember him from Leadership NSU two years ago. Szabo says that Greeks are in a better position to be mentally healthy for three reasons: a stronger support structure, better connection to a community and shared values that enhance emotional development.

There are many benefits that come from membership in a fraternity or sorority. Those benefits are usually not what drives people to join.

It comes down to the fact that people really enjoy spending time with people with shared values, common culture and a dedication to the community and philanthropy.

None of this means that just because you are not interested in Greek life, you can’t be successful. It just means that if you did go Greek, the stats are in your favor. Go Greek, and you’ll go places.

Trinity Velazquez

Viewpoints Editor

I think every undergrad on this campus has thought about rushing and joining what seems to be the glamourous experience that is Greek life.

Joining Greek life sounds like a lot of fun, and I know that people make lots of connections and friends because of it.

Even if I wanted to say something bad about going Greek I can’t. Greek life can be a great thing for some people.

But you don’t have to be in Greek life to make connections or make friends, so I believe that Greek life isn’t worth joining.

Reason number one is the price of tuition, books and room and board already make for an expensive price tag on college education. Students who choose to join Greek life are going to end up paying more for their undergraduate experience.

The average semester expenses for sororities at Louisiana State University is $1,366.50 alone. Add room and board plus average meal plans, and you are looking at around $5,000, according to LSU Greek life.

The main cause for the price differences between Greek organizations, especially those on campus, is the number of dues that go toward the national organization insurance bill. For example, organizations that have a history of hazing violations will usually pay excessive amounts for insurance.

This brings me to my next point: hazing. We all know that hazing is bad and is a problem on every campus. No matter how generous the donations are to a philanthropy, Greek life is shady.

Hazing may not be allowed on campus, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. We’re in college. We’re not stupid. Greek life can be dangerous sometimes. Let’s not forget that people have died because of hazing.

My third point goes back to my introduction: making connections. It seems like Greek life is prevalent on campus, but the truth is only 7% of students on this campus are in Greek life.

Surprise, you don’t have to be in Greek life to be in organizations or homecoming court. I was a senator in Student Government Association and an editor for the Current Sauce at the same time, and I’m not in Greek life.

Getting involved and meeting friends is how you make connections. Being in Greek life certainly helps, but anyone can be a leader on campus.

Greek life isn’t worth it. You can be friends with anyone in Greek life without ever having to rush. Greek life is expensive, potentially dangerous and, on this campus, the minority of students.