Athlete of the Week: Shelton Eppler

Briyonna Collins

KNWD Sports Director

Shelton Eppler transferred to NSU in fall 2018. Having never played in Division I athletics, the junior quarterback quickly made a name for himself.

In his first season with the university, Eppler started in nine games and threw for 26 touchdowns. He received honorable mention for Southland All-Conference and All-Louisiana and quickly showed the Demon fans that he was a player to watch.

He proved to be a force to be reckoned with in the 2019 season opener against UT Martin.

Though the game resulted in a loss, Eppler set two new school records with 43 completions and 62 attempts while rising to second in the school’s history for throwing 387 yards.

Eppler said that he hasn’t always played in the quarterback position.

In high school he told his coaches he wanted to try out for quarterback, and they denied him the opportunity. After being denied, he didn’t think he wanted to play anymore since he didn’t get the chance to try out.

The coaches eventually gave him the opportunity, and his journey led him to NSU.

Eppler’s advice to his younger self is to “Keep working, and don’t let someone tell you you can’t do something. If you have the determination to keep going and working, you can always do what you want.”

Many have doubted his abilities because of his build, but he’s proved himself and proudly holds the position of quarterback.

“I love the pressure just because it shows who steps up in the times or who breaks and crumbles,” Eppler said.

He believes that as the quarterback it is his job to stay poised, be the “consistent leader” and always give the same effort no matter win or lose.

“Without (the Demon football supporters) support, we wouldn’t be in this position,” Eppler said.

The Demon football team will play against LSU Saturday in Tiger Stadium with kickoff starting at 6:30 p.m.

As always Fork’ em Demons!