Gov. Edwards focuses on education and training for success in Louisiana

Louisiana residents will vote in the primary election for the gubernatorial race tomorrow where Gov. John Bel Edwards seeks re-election.

While visiting Natchitoches last night at the Cane River Brewing Co., Gov. Edwards spoke about how he’s “absolutely committed to education.”

For the first time in ten years, Louisiana has instituted a new investment into higher education. In his term as governor, multiple bills passed to enhance higher education, TOPS is fully funded and GO Grants are currently funded at the highest amount in the state’s history.

The Board of Regents announced a master plan that expects 60% of all adults in Louisiana to have a credential or degree beyond high school by 2030.

Moody’s, the national credit rating agency, said if this plan is executed it’ll transform the state of Louisiana and unleash an economy like the state’s never seen.

“We can’t do that unless you focus on education, training and workforce development, and that’s exactly what you all are doing right here at Northwestern State University,” Edwards said.

A key part of this master plan is to increase job opportunities in the state of Louisiana. More than 170 economic development projects landed in Louisiana and over $41 billion has been invested across the state during Edwards’ term.

Unemployment in Louisiana is at the lowest rate in 11 years and 11 months. DXC Technology’s arrival in New Orleans was “the largest economic development project in the state’s history,” adding 2,000 jobs on Poydras St.

“We want opportunity and prosperity for everybody, and that’s what we’ve been doing since I’ve been governor,” he said.

Gov. Edwards has also made education investments outside of higher education. Teachers’ pay was raised for the first time in ten years, investments are being made in the public-school districts and $20 million was invested into early childhood education.

“We know that [education] is the key to success for the future of Louisiana, and it’ll keep Louisianans here so that they can realize that opportunity and our prosperity in Louisiana, which is where they want to be.”

Gov. Edwards is confident he will be re-elected as long as people go out and vote tomorrow.

“If we go out and vote Saturday, we win Saturday,” he said. “There is no doubt about that.”

“I have always tried to be and have been the governor for everybody in Louisiana,” he said. “At the end of the day I think the people of Louisiana know full well how much better off we are today than we were four years ago.”

U.S. Representative Dr. Ralph Abraham and Eddie Rispone did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. To find your voting location, go to https://voterportal.sos.la.gov/.

When you go to the polls to cast your vote, be sure to take one of the following:

• a driver’s license,
  • a Louisiana Special ID,
  • LA Wallet digital driver’s license, or
  • some other generally recognized picture ID that contains your name and signature.

Voters who have no picture ID may complete and sign a Voter Identification Affidavit in order to vote. However, it is subject to challenge by law.