Athlete of the week: Hannah Brister

Junior outside Hannah Brister continues to define herself as the top offensive threat in the Southland Conference.

Now in her third year as a member of the Lady Demon Volleyball team, she tops the chart in offensive kills for the conference, needing just 14 more to achieve her second-straight 300 kill season.

Currently averaging 15.1 kills per game, Brister sits poised to become the seventh player to ever reach 400 kills in a single year with a chance to challenge the single-season record.

She ranks nationally in the top-20 offensive players, sitting 16th in total kills, ninth in kills per set and 14th in points per set.

A Paincourtville, Louisiana native, Brister began to make a name for herself as a stand-out player at Assumption High School. Leading her team to three consecutive regional championships and two state runner-ups, she accumulated multiple first-team all-district, all-region and all-state honors throughout her high school career.

During her senior year, she earned a spot as a member of the USA Volleyball High Performance A1 Team, the highest level of programming available to athletes in the select age group.

Brister began to make an impact immediately after stepping on court for the Lady Demons, appearing in 31 matches her freshman year. Named the Southland Conference Freshman of the Year, she entered the 2018 season even stronger, leading the Lady Demons with 314 kills and finishing seventh in the Southland Conference.

Her success extends both on and off the court, demonstrating her strength both academically and athletically. She has won All-Conference academic team placements each year, culminating with her earning 2018 First-Team All-Louisiana honors.

Currently majoring in health and exercise science, Brister plans on pursuing a career in speech pathology.