NSU students will honor MLK in a day of service

Lia Portillo Cantarero

Northwestern State University of Louisiana and the Natchitoches community will hold a service day to honor Martin Luther King Jr. on Jan. 15.

Senior psychology major Darrin Nixon is the student coordinator of the service event. Nixon feels honored to be in charge of an event that contributes to King’s legacy.

“To oversee the Inaugural MLK Day of Service is honestly a privilege. Dr. King’s work has changed the fate of my world and to contribute to his legacy is a small token of my appreciation to all that he has done for all people of color, races, ideology and ‘walks of life,’” Nixon said.

Nicole Gray is the community outreach and grants manager for the city of Natchitoches. Gray is coordinating the event alongside Nixon to enrich the community and allow NSU students to be a part of the service day.

Members of the NSU and Natchitoches community registered in advance to help with the activities. Some of the service projects taking place include a cleanup at Highland Park, preparations of gift baskets for seniors in the Friedman Student Union and children’s activities at the Martin Luther King Recreation Center.

Gray discussed the importance of the event.

“Dr. King was concerned about how we served humanity, how we cared for the poor and downtrodden of society and how each of us would leave the world a better place than when we arrived,” Gray said. “Dr. King’s legacy can’t simply be captured in a day of service, but it is the least we can do to honor the memory of a man who died for justice and freedom.”

William Roberson, a junior health and physical education major, is participating in the day of service alongside the Theta Chi chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha.

Roberson will help instruct children’s activities at the Martin Luther King Recreation Center.

“Having a multitude of people participating will illustrate the collectivity and inclusiveness of students, members of the community and those in esteemed positions,” Roberson said.

Roberson has participated in previous service days and strives to improve on the impact he makes every time. Roberson feels King changed the virtues of society and this service day is another step towards bettering the community.

“‘We have to keep moving forward…,’ as he said in a phenomenal quote, and I believe this is what going forward looks like,” Roberson said.