Fans witness Demon basketball history

On Feb. 4, the Demons lost to Stephen F. Austin in a battle during overtime; the Demons lost by the hairs on their chin with a score of 73-75.

Iziahiah Sweeney led the team, scoring 20 points, and Devonte Hall wasn’t far behind with 17 points.

The Demons redeemed themselves in their rematch against the Lumberjacks on March 2, coming out with a win and stopping SFA’s 45-game winning streak over the span of five years. Devonte Hall played another exceptional 16-point game with Sabri Thompson also scoring 12 of the Demon’s 72 points.

The Demons faced the University of Central Arkansas on March 4 and gained another win with major help from senior guard Zeek Woodley, who scored 25 points, and sophomore forward Ishmael Lane, who scored 20 points.

The game against UCA took an unexpected turn when senior guard Sabri Thompson suffered a dislocated ankle three minutes into the final half. Despite this, the Demons finished the game strong with a 97-83 win.

With his groundbreaking performance on Senior Night, Woodley would be the player to remember, however. Two and a half minutes into the first quarter, Woodley made history.

The previous week, Woodley was 54 points away from breaking a record that had not been broken for 40 years. Woodley scored 28 points against UNO on Feb. 25, and with the 24 points scored against SFA on March 2, Woodley only had to make a single shot on Saturday against UCA to break the record for the most career points in NSU men’s basketball history.

He didn’t simply make the shot; Woodley, with the assist from Sabri Thompson, dunked his way into NSU fame. His career points total 2,033.

With three consecutive wins, the Demons have secured themselves a spot in the Southland Conference Tournament taking place March 8 to March 12 in Katy, Texas.