Maggio named NSU’s 19th president

Dr. Chris Maggio officially joins the ranks of 18 other NSU presidents after a four-month tenure as Acting President, effective May 12.

His first goal: “Continue the momentum that we have built up – even take it to another level.”

“I love when I see what our students are doing – how engaged they are on campus, and how motivated our faculty are right now,” Maggio said. “We want to continue to create that environment, and we’re going to do that by continuing to expand our student programming and continue to enhance our academic areas of campus. I think when we do that, we’re going to keep this momentum.”

This new appointment leaves a vacancy in the office of the Vice President for The Student Exprience, Maggio’s soon-to-be previous post. Campus programming, social responsibility and community leadership are all part of this department’s daily operations.

“We haven’t started the search [for a new VP-Student Experience]; we were just doing this one step at a time,” Maggio said. “That’s going to be a very important position for us to fill over this next year.”

Maggio credits Dean Frances Conine, Alan and Yonna Pasch, Jana Lucky, Reatha Cox, Lauren Jackson, Shayne Creppel and others for stepping up to fill the void since he was unable to work full time in the department this semester.

“We want to make sure we have a vibrant student environment on campus,” Maggio said. “We just don’t want… directors of different departments sitting in a room making the decisions. It’s important that we have student input involved as well.”

View Comments (1)