New Orleans Black Chorale to perform

Northwestern State’s Creole Heritage Center, NSU Jazz Orchestra and the School of Creative and Performing Arts will host “Down by the Riverside: Celebrating Ancestries, Lives and Legacies” in Magale Recital Hall on Feb. 3 at 6 p.m. The concert will feature the New Orleans Black Chorale, with proceeds benefiting the Dr. Terrel A. Delphin, Jr. Endowed Scholarship Fund.

The New Orleans Black Chorale formed out of a group that sang with the New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony in 1980; they focused on African-American contributions to New Orleans culture. According to the New Orleans Black Chorale website, the original group consisted of soloists, members of church and college choirs and other individuals interested in “preserving American Negro Spirituals.”

The Chorale will be directed by Dr. John E. Ware, an Xavier University music professor, and accompanied by pianist Dr. Wilfred Delphin. Dennis Montgomery III, director of the Music Reverence Gospel Ensemble, will be the guest organist for the concert.

The group has also been responsible for rewarding music scholarships to students of Xavier, Dillard and Southern universities.

The Dr. Terrel A. Delphin, Jr. Endowed Scholarship Fund was established in 2016 in honor of Dr. Terrel Alphonse Delphin, Jr., one of the voices that led to creation of the Louisiana Creole Heritage Center at NSU. He died in 2012 from a stroke-related illness.

According to his obituary, Dr. Delphin, Jr. had a “desire to protect and promote the beautiful Cane River area,” and felt that the Natchitoches African-American community had an important leadership history and achievements worthy of recognition.

Tickets for the concert cost $20 for individuals or $35 for couples. Students with proper ID can attend for $10, and groups of 20 or more can request a group rate.

Loletta Wynder, director of the Creole Heritage Center, is also looking to the community for support. Concert sponsorships are available for $500, $250 and $100. Questions about pricing or those interested in sponsoring the event can contact Wynder at 318-357-6685 or at [email protected].