Jalan West ends time at NSU

NSU 12 Jalan West LSUS 1 Benjamin Batts

After playing with the Northwestern State University basketball team, Jalan West’s standout career has ended.

West, who was enrolled as a seventh-year senior, left the team during winter break for personal reasons and did not register for the spring semester. As of this report, he has not responded to a request for comment.

While the point guard was on the roster, NSU either led the country in scoring or finished second.

“Jalan was a tremendous player for us who helped our program to a lot of success on the court,” Head Coach Mike McConathy said.

This is evident in his achievements, including the following: top-10-ranked career in Southland Conference history for assists, assists per game, steals, steals per game and 3-point aim; having three top 10 Southland Conference single-season performances; an .865 career free throw percentage, which is the best all-time by any Southland Conference player.

McConathy also called West a “special ambassador” for NSU and the basketball program. One example was through his introduction of Gov. John Bel Edwards at NSU’s spring 2016 graduation ceremonies and his nomination for the National Association of Basketball Coaches Allstate Good Works Team in 2015-16 for his leadership and character.

At NSU, West holds the titles of sixth all-time in career scoring, third all-time in career steals and at the end of the 2015-16 season was ranked fourth among all active players in assists. He also scored 37 percent of the points scored by the team during his time on the court.

West graduated in 2016 with a degree in general studies, though the NCAA granted him a seventh-year waiver – a rare accommodation – due to injury. He ended up only playing eight games of the season before leaving NSU.

To read more about West, visit nsudemons.com. It includes a breakdown of his statistics and articles about his achievements.