NSU Food Pantry reopens

The NSU Student Food Pantry is open for the semester for students in need of food. The pantry is located in the Trisler Power Plant that faces Magale Recital Hall, right under the tall smokestack with the “N” near the top.

The concept for the food pantry came from three students in the spring 2015 Social Work with Communities and Organizations class. The students polled other NSU students to determine the need on campus and received permission from department head Dr. Wade Tyler and former President Dr. Jim Henderson.

Since opening, the pantry has served over 500 students in need and runs completely on volunteer students, faculty and staff.

Any NSU or BPCC@NSU student with an ID and current sticker is eligible to receive food. Students are required to fill out an application before picking out their items, but no financial information or explanation of their personal situation is required. Those in need are allowed to pick out food once a week, free of charge.

Food available includes the following:

[ul type=check-2]

• canned foods
  • cereal
  • peanut butter
  • water

[/ul]

Other than food, students are able to select from t-shirts and toiletries such as toothbrushes, toothpastes, deodorant, toilet paper and feminine hygiene products.

Assistant professor of social work and coordinator of the NSU Student Food Pantry Denise Bailey understands the importance of the pantry to specific groups of students.

“We are able to serve our international students who do not meet the citizenship requirements for state or federal food assistance programs,” she said.

Right now, the pantry is in need of peanut butter, canned tuna, canned fruit and breakfast items. Those wishing to donate can drop food off at the food pantry or at the designated box in Watson Library.

This semester, the food pantry will be open on Mondays and Tuesdays from 11-5 p.m. and Wednesdays from 11-12:30 p.m. and 2-5 p.m. Students wishing to volunteer can pick up an application during pantry hours or can contact Denise Bailey via email at [email protected] or by phone at 318-357-6129.