Bookstore, eSports dominate SGA meeting

Bookstore, eSports dominate SGA meeting

The Student Government Association discussed a number of issues at Monday’s meeting.

SGA first discussed the new off-campus bookstore to resolve the numerous problems addressed by students, including unanswered phone calls, emails, non-returning of messages and students not receiving textbooks timely after paying for next-day shipping.

“We need our books as soon as possible, so I believe that it’s not acceptable at this time to have bad service,” Sen. Hayden Pilcher said.

When discussing the old bookstore, SGA President Jacob Ellis said that the campus administration pitched an idea to turn the old bookstore space into an eSports arena for gamers. SGA has many concerns about this. It was suggested that the excess space should be turned in to a lounge area, bowling alley, or another dining facility.

In other business, the SGA T-Shirt swap will be on Thursday, Aug. 30 from 11:00-1:00 p.m. on the Kyser brick way. Other upcoming events are the bus trip to Texas A&M and Constitution Day which will be Sept. 17 in the lobby of the Student Union.

The SGA formally congratulated Clancy Stewart for winning the Louisiana State Fiddlers Championship, as well as both the Chamber and Lyric Choirs for bringing “acclaim and honor” to Northwestern State.

The campus honor society, Alpha Lambda Delta, was also recognized for being one of the top three chapters in the nation.