Lady Demons soccer team builds momentum

The Lady Demons soccer team started off the first quarter of their season strong, riding a four game winning streak (5-2 overall) after back-to-back games in Demonland. Under the guidance of first year co-head coach Jess Jobe, the team is looking to continue their winning season at Stephen F. Austin on Sept. 14 and at LSU-Alexandria on Sept 16.

Jobe knows that continuing their streak relies on strong communication and increased pressure during practice times.

“[We are] continuously taking steps forward each day at practice just making the most of our opportunities to be together and work together and to grow and improve,” Jobe said. “We need to work on communication and growing together and what are one and another tendency are and continue to move forward in that but we have a little way to go still. Every practice we need to be sharp and make the most of our opportunities and at games we look forward to playing other opponents and getting at it.”

Like her coaches, Senior Defender Ysmina Smith agrees that improving communication and building chemistry between each others as players is going to be the key to the Lady Demons continuing their winning streak, and hopefully, making a run for the Southland Conference Championships.

“I’m feeling pretty confident, because I know we’ve been working really hard every day, really pushing each other to make each other better, so I hope this weekend we can go out and prove that we are the better team. We have so much potential to be great, we just need to strive for it,” Smith said.

Junior Midfielder Jayden Wheeler believes the games they have coming up this weekend are going to be a challenge, because of the team’s differences in their styles of play.

“I think with the two games coming up, the teams definitely have a different style of playing,” Wheeler said. “If we stay focused, stick to what we know and play together, I think we will be fine.”

Wheeler believes that if they continue to play the way they have been playing all season, then they will have a conference championship under their belt by the end of the season.

“Each game we feel like we are taking a step forward, and that’s kind of the motto we keep going for,” Wheeler said. “I think if we keep putting out the games that we’ve been putting out, we have a conference championship to win.”

Photo by Chris Reich.