NSU sets sights on several new projects

Dr. Chris Maggio said one of his biggest goals is the creation of a new academic building on Northwestern State’s Natchitoches campus. Construction of the building, nicknamed the new Kyser Hall, is still in its early stages.

Maggio said the project is currently in the State Capital Outley Process. He added that the university is “working diligently” to get funding for the building project.

Nicholas Parhan, sophomore, said he Funding for new dorms for the Louisiana School of Math, Science and the Arts is thinks the creation of a new academic building could be very helpful. He said the move could allow Kyser Hall to be more focused on one subject.

Funding for new dorms for the Louisiana School of Math, Science and the Arts is coming, the president said. A residence hall will be built behind the library, with construction scheduled to start in the spring.

Completion of the dorms is expected for fall 2020. The university is seeking funding to demolish Prud’homme and Caddo Hall, LSMSA’s current dorms.

The Nesom Natarorium and Dodd Hall are two other projects for the university. While Dodd Hall is marked for demolition, the natatorium is not. Plans for the natatorium could include repurposing it or reopening it as an indoor pool.

Maggio said that NSU recently took over control of the learning center at England Air Park in Rapides Parish. On NSU’s Shreveport campus, a new bookstore is scheduled to be added. NSU Middle Lab will also have an elevator added.

The president said he is unsure if NSU will receive any of the $300 million surplus raised by the state government this year.

Ted Scott, freshman, said the idea of a new building is “pretty good.” He added that the space where the LSMSA dorms are should be turned into NSU dorms.