Universities of Louisiana to make books cost-friendly

In order to combat the rising cost of education, the University of Louisiana System is trying to make textbooks more cost-friendly for students. ULS President Jim Henderson said that an initiative has been launched across the system to reduce textbook expenses.

“The rising cost of college has been a concern for all of us,” Henderson said. He added that the UL System is always looking for ways to reduce costs.

Jeannine Kahn, UL System provost and vice president of Academic Affairs, said the initiative will take place over the course of the next three years. “Campuses will be asked to provide an implementation plan that clearly identifies ways in which the student burden related to textbook costs can be reduced, with yearly reports on progress,” Kahn said.

Northwestern State University is currently working to develop its plan regarding the cost of textbooks and other course materials.

“Currently, 50 percent of Northwestern courses use an e-textbook option, so we may increase the use of this option, as well as use more open educational resources,” said Dr. Vickie Gentry, vice president of academic affairs. “The universities goal is to make the average cost of course materials be $75 or less.”

Photo by Victoria Perkins.