‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ will rock you

Rami Malek has brought Queen to generations that were not born when Queen’s lead singer, Freddie Mercury, graced the universe with hits such as Bohemian Rhapsody and Killer Queen. The film “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which was released on Nov. 2, has received some of the same reactions from critics and fans as the actual song of the same name, received in the 70s.

The film follows Queen’s lead singer, Freddie Mercury, from his rise to fame, coming out and diagnosis of AIDS. Rami Malek, who portrays Mercury, brings him to life in a way that nobody else could. From the prosthetic teeth Malek wore to make him appear to have the same four octave range as Mercury, to the countless hours of movement classes to perfect his rendition of Mercury.

It is easy to get lost in the film and forget that we are not actually watching Mercury himself. Not to ignore the other actors who portray Queen’s drummer, Roger Taylor; guitarist, Brian May and bassist, John Deacon. The portrayals of each character are executed in a way you often forget that they are not indeed the actual members of Queen.

As an audience member, “Bohemian Rhapsody” has easily become one of my favorite movies of all time. The costumes, story-telling and above all – the music, have left Bohemian Rhapsody in the hearts of audiences all over the world.

View Comments (1)