Natchitoches museum to host World War II exhibit

The Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and North- west Louisiana History Museum will host an up- coming exhibit titled “The Pelican State Goes to War.”

The exhibit, developed by the National World War II Museum in New Orleans, will highlight Louisiana’s contribution to the war effort.

One such contribution is the Louisiana maneuvers, which were conducted in Louisiana before and during America’s entry into the war.

Jenna Biddiscombe, the branch director of the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and Northwest Louisiana History Museum, said the opening night will be a free reception. It will last from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Feb. 1.

A performance by the Victory Belles, a 1940’s style vocal trio, will perform at the opening night.

James Linn, the exhibit’s curator, said, “World War II provided new, previously unimaginable opportunities to Louisiana’s residents.”

He added that some of the other stories in the exhibit will include Clair Chennault, creator of an early warning system to help protect China’s air forces against Japanese attacks and Richard English, who served in an African American battalion and later as a civil rights advocate.

The exhibit will be held on the bottom floor of the museum from Feb. 1 to March 16. Admission is $5 for adults and $4 for seniors, students and military. Children under six get in for free