SGA’s ‘Leadership NSU’ conference to be held in Student Union

The Student Government Association will be hosting a two-day conference called Leadership NSU: Back 2 the Basics on Feb. 1 and 2 in the Student Union Ballroom.

“Leadership NSU is a professional leadership conference that the Student Government Association partners with several different organizations to put on for our students,” said student body president Jacob Ellis. Student Activities Board, Campus Living Villages, and First Year Experience also contribute and provide support.

“The Leadership NSU committee is made up of representatives from all types of organizations on campus,” Ellis said. He said he’s hoping for 200-300 students to attend.

Elizabeth Coleman, Academic Affairs Commissioner and head of the Leadership NSU committee said that students will be participating in interactive sessions where the guest speakers discuss topics from how to build your resume to how to success

ful be a leader in your organization. She said that returning speakers include Dr. Lori Heart, T.J. Sullivan and Dave Kelly. “T.J. Sullivan talks about motivating the middle, which is motivating people that may-be aren’t doing as much as they could but aren’t against something,” Ellis said. “The Counseling and Career Center are doing a career component such as resume build-ing. We’re allowing faculty to come in and teach some sessions. There are people that represent Greek life, we have all kinds of speakers for all kinds of different topics.” If a student really wants to learn how to be a leader, the workshops that Ellis recom-mends are Parliamentary Procedures with Dave Kelly. He also encourages students to talk to speakers and ask questions at the end. Sophomore Quanjerika Smiley said she is excited about being involved on campus. “I don’t know what to expect, so I’m hoping to meet new people and become more involved.” Last year’s Leadership NSU was themed Ac-tion to Apathy, and Coleman went last year as Ellis was Academic Affairs Commissioner. “Last year, Jacob Ellis allowed me to serve as a Student at Large Coordinator. This gave me much experience on how to make a plan and execute it,” Coleman said. “I was able to attend a few of the sessions and thoroughly enjoyed what they had to offer.” Last year’s conference was successful because of good speakers, and both El-lis and Coleman agree that last year was a learning experience for them both. The theme “Back 2 the Basics” was cho-sen to help students learn what it takes to run an organization and learn the basics of being successful. The conference is entirely free to any student on NSU’s campus which makes it an easy opportunity for students to attend. Coleman says she is most ex-cited for the new speakers. “Especially the career component we are add-ing! Because of this new session, we are able to reach out to more students!” she said. “I have gone every year since I started, and my fresh-man year was cool because I saw and learned a lot. It was cool seeing it from the student perspective and then being able to plan it.”