Lady of the Bracelet Jourdan Waddell to host philanthropic dance competition

By Lauren Briscoe.

Demons, get your dancing shoes ready! On Feb. 1 at 6 p.m., Northwestern State University’s Lady of the Bracelet, Jourdan Waddell, will be holding a philanthropic event, “Stompin’ the Mental Health Stigma,” a dance competition that hopes to shed light on mental health issues.

The event will help raise funds for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, the official philanthropy of Miss America, which Lady of the Bracelet strives to compete at. Comedian Adam Grabowski is set to attend the event to speak on mental health in a lighthearted, open way.

“Masters of Ceremony will be split between me and Adam Grabowski,” Waddell said of her plans for the evening. “Also, our dancing duos that are competing are up to win a scholarship for this semester.”

Waddell chose to use her platform to advocate for mental health as the issue hits home for her.

“I’ve struggled with anxiety since I was a little kid. I want to have this platform to educate people about resources that there are to find help—you’re not a burden,” states Waddell.

The Student Activities Board is teaming up with Jourdan for the event.

“We want [students] to come and know they can talk about these feelings they are having,” SAB Coordinator Yonna Pasch said. “There are resources in Natchitoches, and we want them to know that outlets do exist.”

Along with the dance competition, the event will also showcase a “rainboot decorating station.” These boots will be filled with change, which will be delivered to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

“It’s really cool for me to see other students leading on campus,” says Student Government Association President Jacob Ellis. “What makes your college experience so rewarding is being able to hold these roles of responsibilities, they help to shape you into a successful person once you graduate.”

This event is not one to miss! Come out and support our 61st Lady of the Bracelet and her pursuit to raise money and awareness for both mental health and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.