Students participate in march in Martin Luther King Jr.’s honor

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

By Kathleen Hilliard.

The Martin Luther King Jr. march for social equality was hosted by the Center for Inclusion and Diversity and African American Caucus on Jan. 21. Students met in front of the Dr. Randall J. Webb Wellness, Recreation and Activity Center at 11 a.m.

The march began there and ended on the Kyser Brickway near the center of campus. Students came together as a community to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr., stand up for equality and protest against intolerance.

“There are plenty of people in today’s society where we are all fighting for one thing whether it’s the right to marry, right to be a citizen, et cetera,” said JaKayla Lee, a student that attended the march. “Everyone deserves to be heard, and it is so important to stand up for something you believe in.”

Other students agreed that the march was important in more ways than one. The march itself held significance for the students that attended, whether for personal reasons or just to be more involved.

“I decided to attend the march to pay tribute to Martin Luther King and to be more involved on campus,” said student Kayla Smith. “I think of all of the things Martin Luther King did and all the fearless moves he made for us to come together as one.”

Others mentioned the uplifting experience of being surrounded by other students.

“The cause does influence me in a way,” Lee said. “It was very uplifting to be surrounded by my community, and we felt stronger together.”

Student Brianna Fife believes that days celebrating impactful people in history such as this should be discussed more in school.

“Martin Luther King Jr. Day is extremely important, and it should be talked about more because whether people believe it or not, racism is everywhere. It happens every day to anyone,” said Fife.

Photo by Brianna Fife.