EDITORIAL BOARD: Congratulations to one of our own

On behalf of The Current Sauce, the editorial board would like to extend its congratulations to Maina Ibn-Mohammed for his service to the Natchitoches and Nigerian communities.

Over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, he was awarded the MLK Jr. Award by the City of Natchitoches. The award was presented by Dr. Doris Small, a social worker, at the MLK Recreation Center.

Mohammed, junior, is majoring in business, computer information studies and general studies. He is also a reporter for The Current Sauce and president/founder of the Cultural Exploration Organization here on campus.

Not only is Maina a great reporter, he is an even better leader, and we consider ourselves lucky to have him on staff. Maina is an example of what we all should strive to be: loyal, kind, selfless and understanding.

Originally from Nigeria, Mohammed had to face many obstacles to get to where he is today. With the help of his uncle, Mohammed said he was able to achieve his “dream” of coming to the States.

A dedicated student and president, Mohammed tries his best to make sure everyone he knows is happy and taken care of. Through his club and donations from other Registered Student Organizations, Mohammed helped establish drinking wells in Africa.

We at the Sauce are glad that the city has recognized the skills and qualities Mohammed possesses. Maina is truly one of a kind, and we know that he will do great things for this newspaper, this university and the world.