The third ‘Kingdom Hearts’ is a flawed but enjoyable ride

“Kingdom Hearts,” one of the weirdest and most successful crossovers between “Final Fantasy” and Disney has an insane legacy. From the original and second game on Playstation 2, the many continuations and stories from all the other titles, we finally get to the 12 entry in the series, “Kingdom Hearts 3.”

Fans have been waiting six years to finally get the game. However, while it lived up to a few of my expectations, some areas could be improved.

My problem with this games’ story is how there’s a lack of urgency leading to the finale. It makes the final part feel rushed.

KH3 officially ends the “Dark Seeker” saga of the series. Its story is better than past titles. Compared to titles like “Dream Drop Distance,” the writing has improved significantly.

If you’re new to the series, or just confused, there are ways to get caught up. One way is “Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far,” a compilation title featuring all the games. It’s released for Playstation 4.

Gameplay in KH3 focuses around traveling to worlds based on select Disney and Pixar movies, which is one of my favorite aspects of the series. The worlds and characters of Disney, re-created in Unreal Engine 4, look phenomenal.

Character models sometimes look more impressive that the original movies they came from. Some of my favorite worlds included: Kingdom of Corona from “Tangled,” Monstropolis from “Monsters Inc.” and San Fransokyo from “Big Hero 6.”

Venturing through the worlds usually comes with a recap of the movies, but some worlds take a more original approach. Toy Box, based off the “Toy Story” films, have you explore a toy store but has a few references to “Final Fantasy.”

Combat is less technical and easier than past games. Whichever keyblade you wield has a form they can transform into to access new attacks that are very flashy.

While having fun and flashy combat is acceptable, it’s a step down because it gets gimmicky and player expression is almost nonexistent. I played on the highest available difficulty, Proud mode, and it felt significantly easier than past titles.

Most times, I didn’t have to think about what I was doing and just mashed “X” for a majority of my play-through. Previous titles, like the original two, allowed players to change their strategies and experiment with every ability you gained through the game.

Despite all my criticism with the game, I still enjoyed it.

After the long wait, I’m glad I got the chance to play KH3. It’s an enjoyable game with a ton of great qualities to it. Some parts at the end of the gam made me emotional.

I would easily recommend it to fans or people interested in the series.