Patricia Reed appointed president of NSU’s Baptist Collegiate Ministry

Junior Patricia Reed has been appointed president of NSU’s Baptist Collegiate Ministry, succeeding graduating senior Chase Slater. The transition was made official at a banquet the BCM held for its leaders last Thursday, March 14.

“If I am honest, I was shocked,” Reed said of being appointed by Slater to take on the role. “I didn’t expect it to be me. Then I remembered that if God calls you to something, he will also equip you for it.”

Reed said her goal as president is to help others “get to know God’s love and get to experience how intentional he is.”

Slater called the passing of the torch “bittersweet” after having poured his four years at NSU into the ministry.

“I’ve spent my time since day one of becoming president praying about the new positions I’d have to appoint,” Slater said. “Patricia’s capable, in the fullest meaning of the word. She’s got the ability to be firm and compassionate all at the same time.”

The BCM does not hold elections, allowing the sitting president to appoint new leaders at the end of every term. BCM directors employed by the Louisiana Baptist Convention consult the sitting president, but the decision was ultimately up to Slater.

“She doesn’t know a stranger,” BCM Director Bill Collins said of Reed. “She has this quiet confidence that is just amazing. She has really just endeared herself to everyone here. I look forward to working with her and seeing her grow as a leader and see where we head as the BCM.”

Reed said Matthew 4:19 (NLT) guides her in her leadership: “Jesus called out to them, ‘Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!’”