CAPA’s “The Cat in the Hat” is about as unique as it gets

NSU’s production of “The Cat in the Hat” wasn’t what I expected, but due to great direction, expressive actors and well-done choreography, it made me have a smile on my face from beginning to end.

The show itself is based off of the Dr. Seuss book of the same name but opts to have no dialogue and tells the story through movement and dance. In less than 40 minutes, the actors were able to with their expressive emotions and gestures that made it easy to follow. Not to mention the choreography of jazz, ballet and tap dancing worked well with the roles they were used for.

Behind the scenes, the technical crew were able to compliment the dancing with a smart and colorful choice of lighting that made the performers pop. The set design was limiting to not damage the marley used, but what surprised me were how the crew were able to switch aspects around with unnoticeable stage transitions.

Costume design for the show was creative, especially with the rain and fish’s costume which even from a distance you can tell had a lot of details worked into it. Even when the “Things” came on stage, I loved how they looked especially when usually Seuss’ characters look off when they are adapted to live-action.

One of my favorite parts was that the machine that the cat used to clean up the house was cleverly powered by tap dancers. As a tap dancer myself, I realized it and found that part genius.

I’m glad I got to see the show and encourage others to check out the dance productions that NSU theater produces. A lot of work goes into it, but somehow NSU performers always seem to make it look easy.