Esports venue confirmed for Friedman Student Union

Northwestern State University is utilizing the old book store space in the student union to build an esports/lounge which is set to open in the fall of 2019.

Ron Wright, chief information officer at NSU and head of the esports project said The esports area is only one part of a larger effort to revitalize the union space in support of the overall student experience.

“We are currently finalizing plans for the space and expect it will open during the fall 2019 semester,” he said.

The new NSU esports Venue will provide a space for both recreational and competitive game players to gather and play in a social setting.

There will be areas dedicated to PC games, Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch. Students can bring their own devices said Wright. There will be plenty of seating areas for students watching others compete or play.

“For those that might not really be into gaming but need a space to sit and surf the web on your laptop or tablet you can do that too,” Wright said.

There will be a competition stage on one end of the room designed to support what is expected to be an “active, student-driven presence in the collegiate esports community.” Wright said.

Dr. Eddie Horton, an assistant professor in the school of business and Technology said collegiate esports is a very fast growing field, because of this the “esports suite” is a great addition to the University.

“It will give our students a spot to go hang out, learn/ play some different games and hopefully one day become a competitive team,” he said,

Hassik M. Vasquez Narvaez is a frequent online gamer on campus. He is excited and cannot wait for this new addition. “I can’t wait to start competing and winning,” he said.

The new project will also provide opportunities for students to gain real work experience.

The facility will include equipment to live stream events creating opportunities for new media and sports journalism students to practice their skills both in front of and behind the camera.