Letter from the Editor: A goodbye

A couple weeks ago, I wrote an editorial critiquing Northwestern State University and discussing a few ways I feel we could be doing better. However, I’m a graduating senior, and I want to end the year on a positive note. So, I figured I’d talk a little bit about all this school has done for me during my four years here.

When I first came to NSU in the fall of 2015, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and I wasn’t too concerned with finding out. Being away from my parents for the first time in my life, my newfound freedom was more or less my only priority.

Instead of living in the dorms, I found a way to live off-campus with some friends from high school and some of their friends. Freshman year had a lot of ups and downs, but when I think of the times in that house, I smile.

One of the best friends I’ve made in college was a fellow by the name of Jamarius Williams, who I met and lived with freshman year. The presidential election, as well as Black Lives Matter protests, were heating up around that time, and J-Mar was able to show me to a whole new way of looking at the world that I had never been exposed to before. It’s really because of those initial conversations with him that I found my passion in life: politics. I don’t even know if he knows that.

During sophomore year, J-Mar and I began hanging out with a group of ladies who lived in a trailer together: Liz, Lindsey, and sisters Brooke and Tori. Liz’s boyfriend at the time, Jordan, soon joined the clique as well, and we began calling ourselves the Paper House Crew (which is a story for another time). As far as I’m concerned, every single one of them is family, and I love them dearly. You mess with one, you mess with all.

By this time, I had moved in with two great guys, Alex Butler, and Chase Slater, who I had met through the Baptist Collegiate Ministry. Sophomore year was a big turning point for me in my faith, and Alex and Chase were a big part of that. They challenged me and helped me grow as a Christian, and were there for me through some hard times. I still go to Chase for religious guidance, and I suspect that will continue.

Switching my major to Communications turned out to be a really good decision. I’ve met so many people within this department whose help has been invaluable. People like Thomas Whitehead, Raymond Strother, Paula Furr, Emily Zering and Kenneth Burns have all gone out of their way to help me out when they didn’t have to. They will always have a special place in my heart.

This past year, I’ve served as Editor-in-Chief of The Current Sauce and made some damn good memories along the way. I really believe in our staff and am proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish. To my editorial board, thanks for making Kyser 227 a fun place to work. Samantha Clark, who is taking over as editor and is a great friend, is sure to take this paper to new heights.

Maina Ibn-Mohammed, who started out as a contributing writer but soon became one of our best reporters, has become a really good friend as well. This guy never fails to make your day better. He’s one of the most positive and Christ-like people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet.

I want to give a special shout-out to Reagan Escude and Kierstin Richter. Reagan and Kierstin are kind but kickass, and two of the best friends I’ve made during my time here. They’re also nothing but trouble. You might want to stay away from them.

You can’t ask for a better friend than my fellow Avocado-at-Law Anson Ballow. I defy you to find someone more fun to goof off or argue with. I am very grateful for this Belle Chase native who has become like a brother to me.

I want to end this piece by thanking my mom and dad. I couldn’t have made it this far without y’all’s constant support. I love and look up to both of you more than you know.

The truth is, no matter how much trash I talk about NSU, I love it. It has helped me to realize who I am, and the people here have enriched my life in so many ways. I am one lucky dude.

View Comments (1)