NSU Lady Demon volleyball team excited for a new season

Kathleen Hillard

Contributing Writer

It’s almost September, which means it’s time for the fall sports to come back into season. The Lady Demon volleyball team is one of many teams prepping and readying themselves for the upcoming 2019 season.

The team is well into their preseason practices. With an eager team including two newcomers, Haley Hoang and Addison McDermott, the Lady Demons are excited for the upcoming games.

“This 2019 team has a lot of great returning talent and has great chemistry, so for this group there isn’t a question mark of ‘is this going to be a good year,’” five-season NSU Coach Sean Kiracofe said. “It’s more of looking forward to what they can accomplish.”

The Lady Demon’s overall record was 12-15 for the 2018 season, but this season holds promise for the team as they strive to always bring their all to the court.

“This season we are improving the team chemistry which is helping us improve the level of play on the court,” senior outside hitter Alexis Warren said. “Something that motivates me for this year is going in as an underdog and it being my last year.”

Senior libero Megan Lohmiller enjoys being the underdog and taking the season one game at a time.

“When things go good on the court, we are very successful, but when we are being pushed and having to play under some pressure, we usually don’t pull it out,” Lohmiller said.

“When it is time for crunch time this season, I want to play with a chip on my shoulder and have something to prove individually and as a team. I want the public to know this team has something to prove, and we are coming into 2019 with a chip on our shoulder.”

Kiracofe is ready to show off the team throughout the season.

“[Volleyball] is an entertaining sport that is fun to attend, and we appreciate all the fans that come to all of our matches and the new ones to give it a try,” Kiracofe said. “We have a fun group of players, and you can tell they enjoy themselves out on the court while still being incredibly competitive.”

Junior outside hitter Hannah Brister has one motto for this season: play each game like it’s the most important game in NSU history.

“That mindset is what’s going to win us games,” Brister said. “I want the public to know that this team has something to prove. Our goals are set high and our mindsets are set higher.”

Schedules, the team roster and updates on matches can be found at www.nsudemons.com.