Focus on the little things, and watch the big things happen

Entering his second year as head coach, Brad Laird has instilled this concept into an emboldened Demon football team that looks to capitalize on momentum they’ve carried through the end of last season.

Now at the conclusion of their fall camp, the Demons sit poised, eager to showcase the physical ability and mental focus they’ve been training for.

“Two of the biggest takeaways from camp are the level of effort and consistency from the team,” Laird said. “These scrimmages, these practices are so important for the guys to understand the opportunities on a Saturday morning and transfer them to a Saturday night.”

Supported by a roster that holds 21 seniors, they look to leave a legacy of change for future Demons to build upon. Commanding the field academically, in the community and on the field, the large senior class has met the challenge of cultivating an atmosphere of execution.

“It has all boiled down to accountability,” senior defensive safety Nick Forde said. “Not only do we have to individually take the necessary steps to succeed, but as a team, we have to hold each other accountable to a certain standard of performance.”

Following a 5-6, 4-5 in conference, record in the 2018 season in which they managed to win three out of the last four games, the Demons hope to become a force to be reckoned with in the Southland Conference.

“Following our performance in the past decade or so, I want us to be the ones to leave a legacy of lasting change to the Demons culture,” senior offensive guard Christopher Zinkle said. “I want to be a part of the culture shift that establishes this program as a top-tier Southland Conference team.”

The Demons officially kick off their season at UT Martin on Aug. 29 beginning at 6:30 p.m.