Athlete of the Week: Chris Zirkle

Finishing two degrees, earning All-Southland honors and being a Student Athlete Advisory Committee community service director on top of leading the Demons offensive line is no easy feat, but it’s what senior offensive lineman Chris Zirkle has been working towards during his whole career.

Hailing from League City, Texas, Zirkle competed at Clear Springs High School, proving himself as a two-time all-district and three-time all-county lineman before graduating and committing to playing football at Northwestern State.

As a Demon, he has gone above and beyond to show that he wishes to make an impact not only on the field but also in the community.

Earning membership into the Alpha Lamda Delta honor society as a freshman, he went on to garner multiple Southland Conference All-Academic team listings.

In 2017, he made the All-Louisiana First Team and represented the Southland Conference as the male representative at the 2018 NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum.

Graduating first with a bachelor’s degree in business, he has almost completed a second bachelor’s degree in homeland security.

While doing so, he has served on the Student Athlete Advisory Committee executive board and has led efforts in the community as a community service director.

“Giving back is a big deal, especially at the college level.” said Zirkle. “I have been blessed to not have to make my parents pay for college. It’s something I’ve worked really hard for and am proud of. The balance is hard sometimes, but if it really matters, you’ll make time for it.”

Upon graduating, he aims to try and pursue a professional football career. He’s developed an impressive academic and athletic résumé that will help him fulfill his dreams of making a lasting impact on the world and reaching his full potential.