Governor candidate profile: US Representative Dr. Ralph Abraham

Photo source: WAFB TV

Thomas Celles

Reporter

Background

Dr. Ralph Abraham Jr. has held more titles than most in his life.

“Doc,” as he likes to go by, has held positions as a veterinarian, a medical doctor, a first lieutenant in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and Mississippi National Guard and currently serves as the U.S. Representative for Louisiana’s 5th district.

On top of that, Abraham is also a farmer, a pilot and owns his own business.

Abraham graduated from Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 began to practice in Richland Parish, Louisiana.

That same year, he received his pilot’s license and became a flight instructor. Six years later he commissioned in the National Guard.

In a sudden career change, he returned to LSU to attend medical school and thereafter began practicing medicine in 1995.

In 2014, he was elected to the Congress as the Representative of Louisiana’s 5th District.

Political History

Politically, Abraham is a conservative Republican who falls in line with the party.

On most issues, he has supported the Trump administration policies, including the infamous travel ban on Muslim-majority countries and defunding “sanctuary cities.”

He has served on several House committees, including Armed Forces, Agriculture, and Science, Space and Technology. He is a pro-life and pro-gun politician as well.

Abraham also has a history of being anti-LGBT. In 2015, he strongly opposed the Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage.

“I believe in the traditional definition of marriage — one man, one woman — and the Supreme Court should have respected states’ rights to define that for themselves,” Abraham said to USA Today in 2015.

On Aug. 22, 2019, Abraham released a campaign advertisement where he states, “as a doctor, I can assure you, there are only two genders.”

The primary election will be on Oct. 12.

If no one wins a majority on Oct. 12, the top two candidates will face off in the general election on Nov. 16.

More information on Representative Abraham is available at abraham.house.gov or abrahamforgovernor.com