NSU makes a difference overseas through the Cultural Exploration Organization

Last semester, the Cultural Exploration Organization provided clean water for kids in Nigeria by building them a well. Now, thanks to its latest project, the group has provided the kids with water bottles, mosquito nets and sandals as well.

The Cultural Exploration Organization built the well thanks to generous donors in Natchitoches. Maina Ibn-Mohammed, president of the Cultural Exploration Organization, said that by building the well, the group gave kids access to clean water 24 hours a day.

Although the kids had water, Ibn-Mohammed realized the only way the kids could drink the water was by using their hands. Meanwhile, some of the kids could not afford shoes, and others were dying of malaria. The Cultural Exploration Organization decided to revisit its well project and provide the kids with water bottles, mosquito nets and sandals.

The Cultural Exploration Organization sent money to its committee in Nigeria by holding fundraisers at NSU and collecting contributions from local donors. The committee used the money to purchase supplies from small businesses in Nigeria so that they would be supported too.

Ibn-Mohammed said the project was about promoting human quality.

“We looked at some of the areas where people are in desperate need, and we said we’d help them in that way,” Ibn-Mohammed said.

Elijah Jno Baptiste, senior, has been involved with the CEO as treasurer since his freshman year. Jno Baptiste helped with the water bottle, mosquito net and sandals project by creating an online fundraiser and raising over $250. Jno Baptiste said the most rewarding part of the project was getting to help the kids.

“When Maina sent me the pictures and videos it really sunk in,” Jno Baptiste said. “It’s an amazing feeling.”

For its next project, the CEO is focusing on sponsoring one kid at a time in order to leave a greater impact.

“We’re already leaving a mark in their life, but if we target these kids one at a time, we boost these kids’ dreams forward,” Ibn-Mohammed said.

“We are not rich, but we try our best to raise money and help someone else that really needs it,” Saily Romero, senior and member of the Cultural Exploration Organization, said.

Romero said that as an international student, helping the kids in Africa touched her a lot.

“The fact that we’re helping people abroad is like, wow,” she said.

Students wishing to get involved with CEO are encouraged to join at any time. The group posts updates on its projects on Instagram @ceo_nsula.