“Fall weather? I don’t know her.” – Louisiana

Mary Gaffney

Fashion Columnist

Wait, it’s actually cold outside?

I never saw that coming, and no matter how much my Pinterest board was preparing, I’m not ready for the real chill to come in.

Am I happy about it? Yeah, I love the cold. Is my closet okay with it? No because I only wear what I need to survive in Louisiana but make it fashion.

I was born and raised in Metairie. I’ve only seen snow maybe four times in my life, and a breezy 60 degrees on a cloudy day feels like negative 10 degrees to me. So now let’s learn together how to wear winter clothes without looking like a marshmallow.

Layers! No, I’m not talking about hair. Focus on layering an outfit. Start small with stockings or leggings. Once you get the basic layers out of the way, pile on the clothes.

We all know how air conditioning works here at NSU, so be prepared to want to stay snuggled in those layers if you’re in the student union but want to tear them off the moment you step into CAPA. I find most buildings to be freezing, so I welcome those extra outer layers.

No matter what, be prepared for the weather to fluctuate in every direction. Louisiana weather is strange like that.

So you have your first layer, stockings. I love to pair it with ripped jeans or a short dress so they can either be the sole focus of the outfit or peek through nicely and help keep me warm.

With the short dress option, I like to throw over an oversized jacket with it if my dress is too tight or scandalous to dress it down. If you’re not a dress person, a skirt and sweater combination can also look great together.

Ripped jeans and stockings can come across as super edgy. Try wearing a patterned stocking underneath blue ripped jeans and add a cropped sweater to make it cozy.

If that’s not cozy enough, introduce your edgy outfit to a jacket. Personally, I love leather jackets, but big denim or corduroy jackets also have my heart.

Boots are always my go-to for fall, but I also love pairing socks and heels. Shoes complete my cozy layered look.

No matter what you wear to be cozy, take time to enjoy this weather because it probably won’t stay for long!