The last round ends on the road

Will Salinas

Sports Reporter

Halfway through the season, the Lady Demon Tennis team is sitting on a 10-4 record and looks to finish the season on a strong note.

The team holds a perfect record at the Jack Fisher Tennis Complex, with a home court record of 8-0, and plan to finish the final home games undefeated.

The team thinks they need to shift in gear and improve on the road as their away record is 2-4.

“The biggest difference competing on the road instead of performing at home is support,” NSU tennis player Emilija Dancetovic said. “We have great supporters, and the atmosphere at home is amazing.”

Even when the team loses, they still bond and come together to highlight obstacles such as games on the road.

“We do have room to improve on our ability to play on the road, which is obviously not as comfortable as our facility in which we practice each day,” head coach Patric DuBois said. “We are pleased with our effort and competitiveness every match. The wins will come on the road as we compete further into the season.”

The improvement on the road is needed as seven of the final 11 games are away with one game in a neutral zone against Grambling State University.

The Lady Demons are confident in their ability to play under pressure and learn from these tough losses.

One of the more notable wins of the season came from a back to back after losing to University of Louisiana at Lafayette and turning around the next day and beating the University of Houston in a close match that ended 4-3.

“I was very proud of the way our ladies came out and competed so well after a tough loss on the road at UH to pull out a close and tough win,” DuBois said.

These games will serve as learning experience for the team to utilize later down the line help them achieve their ultimate goals.

“Every match is different, so we can learn whether we win or lose,” Northwestern State University tennis player Ela Iwaniuk said. “I think the more we learn and analyze our previous matches, the better results we will accomplish in future matches.”

The Lady Demons and coach DuBois are ready to finish the second half of the season and compete for a Southland Conference Championship.

The Lady Demons Tennis team face the University of Central Arkansas Bears Saturday at the UCA Tennis Courts at 11 a.m.