NPHC Meet and Greet promoted fellowship, equity and inclusion

Darrin Nixon

Student Government Association Vice President Kaylynn Simeion, Interim President Marcus Jones and SGA President Tja’h Edwards at the National Panhellenic Council Meet and Greet.

Members of the National Panhellenic Council, informally known as D9, gathered at the President’s Home for fellowship and to discuss ways in which the university can progress regarding diversity, equity and inclusion.

Students had the opportunity to have some “one-on-one” time with interim President Marcus Jones and several university officials such as Michael Snowden, vice president of diversity and inclusion, and David Fuller, assistant professor of Educational Leadership.

When asked what this event meant to him, William Roberson, vice president of the Theta Chi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha said, “Today’s event was nothing less than what I would consider a promise.”

“Often in a predominantly white institution, some organizations can’t help but feel left out,” Roberson said.

“In no way, shape, or form am I saying that NSU has failed to meet the standard of equality for all that it strives for, especially in today’s climate,” Roberson said. “However, it is befitting to know that in all of our efforts as NPHC organizations, we have a cabinet that will continue to strengthen inclusivity and advocate on our behalf on a more knowledgeable level.”

“Simply put, Dr. Jones’ position gives me no doubt that we will continually prosper,” Roberson said.

Additionally, Allison “AD” Darty, Ivy Leaf reporter for the Eta Chi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. said, “I think it was great to see all of our Greek organizations back in the swing of things after last year’s mostly virtual semester.”

“Despite the continuing COVID restrictions and uncertainty about the upcoming semester, each of our Greek organizations safely made their presence known and the event was overall very welcoming,” Leaf said. “It was a great way to showcase our resilient spirit.”

The members of NPHC were extremely grateful for Dr. Jones’ hospitality and look forward to his leadership.