Words and Pictures: a creative space to come together

Rebecca Macijeski

“Don’t not take this class because you’re afraid you’re not going to be proficient at one thing or the other,” Zbitovskis said. “You’re not graded on how great of a writer or artist you are, you’re graded on the process.”

English 3030, Words and Pictures, is a class of inspiration and fun that pushes students out of their comfort zones and into new art forms.

The class is taught by Shae Montgomery, instructor of English, Oona Zbitjovkis, instructor of English, Rebecca Macijeski, assistant professor of English and creative writing program coordinator and Leslie Gruesbeck, the head coordinator of the Department of Fine and Graphic Arts and associate professor of art.

“The class shows interconnectedness,” Zbitkovskis said. “And that it’s not about being a master of all the skills but understanding them and knowing how you can play with them and work with them.”

The purpose of the class is to show and celebrate collaboration.

“This is a class where we celebrate the process of making and discovering, creating and playing as an intellectual as well as a creative enterprise,” Macijeski said.

The class focuses on creative writing and different interpretations of writing and art.

Words and Pictures celebrates collaboration with different students and their interests, some are stronger in writing and others are stronger in art. Instructors assure students switch roles to hone the skills they already bring to the table.

All four professors encourage students outside of the normal art and English majors to attend this class. Everyone is invited and encouraged to enroll. Engineering, business and criminal justice majors have been past members of Words and Pictures.

Originally, the course was founded by Zbitkovskis.

“I said this was something I really wanted to do and asked if this was something you [my colleagues] would be willing to do and everyone was really interested,” Zbitkovskis said.

Heather White is senior graphic art major and a member of the first ever Words and Pictures class.

“Students very much thrive in a comforting class environment so a lot of the assignments were fun, open and creative,” White said.

“You have to talk with your professors and tell them what’s going on, they are lenient and understanding,” White said. “They will do everything they can to help you overcome the obstacles.”

Students have an opportunity to be a part of a collaborative magazine at the end of the semester and to work on a wide variety of projects.

“It’s not an easy class, but it was enjoyable. I think the workload was a lot, it was not an intense workload,” Ruben Smith, an English graduate student, said. “But the projects may take up more time than typical other projects might.”

“My favorite part was getting to work with an artist and seeing how their minds work opposed to how a writer’s mind works,” Smith said.

When asked what his favorite part of the class was, Jayce Gentry, a senior computer information systems major, stated he enjoyed the instructors most of all.

“They teach us their knowledge with a lot of joking back and forth,” Gentry said.

Gentry had advice for students hoping to take the class.

“Go in not thinking it is like any other class you have taken, it is not the kind of class that is going to be very rigid,” Gentry said.

Having a class with four professors rather than a traditional lecture allows Words and Pictures to explore new opportunities. Students are able to see different perspectives of art and writing.