A survival guide for introverted freshmen

Stephani Bradley

Think of college as a simulation of the real world. To make a difference and to be social you have to be the one attending and contributing to your life.

Here’s another typical guide to surviving your freshman year: introvert edition. For the most part, when you talk to someone about college as a first-year student, they tell you how serious you should be. Specifically targeting the area of go to your classes, make sure you eat or maybe just knowing how to start being an adult.

However, no one really mentions that meeting people in college is harder than it was in high school. So, in tribute to my fellow introverts going through the downward spiral of loneliness, here are some tips on how to get involved and not be stuck in your dorm 24/7.

The biggest challenge introverts face is the doubt that others project in us because they think they are trying to help. The true way of helping someone is through encouragement.

Not lectures on why you should not be alone in your first year of college or why you simply cannot survive without the help of others. While I admit that it is true, forcing extrovert qualities onto an introvert will only make them want to scream into their pillow forever.

The biggest survival tip I would give is that you attend the functions put on by students for students to enjoy. Nina Ovalle, a freshman majoring in hospitality management and tourism, speaks on the importance of attending Demon Days.

“I’ve found it really helpful attending the Demon Days events that are freshman-geared and have met many people through them,” said Ovalle. While large social outings may seem like a big step, sometimes taking the big step can make a huge difference.

Secondly, give yourself time. No matter how much your parents or high school friends constantly apply pressure for you to meet other people, it’s your journey. Not all of us will automatically become besties.

Yet, you should still give other people the chance to get to know you. Trotter LaFollette, a Health and Exercise Science major, gives introverts simple advice.

“It’s okay to be nervous, you don’t know them, you don’t know what they think of you. But try it out, be yourself and enjoy time with new people,” said LaFollette.

A simple accidental wave can lead to a great conversation, all you have to do is give yourself the chance.

You get to choose the life you want to live. Troy Hayes, a freshman majoring in computer information systems, reflects on his past few weeks in NSU.

Hayes said, “College is as fun as what you put into it. Don’t stay in the background”.

It’s easy to let everything consume you. To let your worries consume every thought of your mind, but just know that once you are ready to change, there are an array of opportunities lying ahead.

If you still have doubts about how your first semester of college will go, don’t worry, you are not alone. Sometimes we have to fake it a little, but eventually, the nervousness and overwhelming will go away. Most importantly, no one cares.

Everyone is here worrying about themselves, don’t be scared to go to functions alone. This is not high school. Your goal at the end is to enjoy the events and contribute to your own journey. You are the main character, everyone else is just adding to your character development.

Live your story.