Everything you need to know about vaccines

Stephani Bradley

Following U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval, COVID-19 vaccination is now being listed on the Northwestern State University of Louisiana immunization record form that is required from all on campus students when enrolling in the university.

On Aug. 23, the United States Food and Drug Administration gave full approval of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19, coming eight months after the first emergency use authorization for the vaccine was issued on Dec. 11, 2020.

“While this and other vaccines have met the FDA’s rigorous, scientific standards for emergency use authorization, as the first FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine, the public can be very confident that this vaccine meets the high standards for safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved product,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, in a statement released by the FDA.

Several vaccines have made their way to the general population with varying protocols and regulations, with the goal of preventing further spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, commonly known as COVID-19.

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine only requires one shot for those 18 and older, the Moderna vaccine requires two doses 28 days apart for those 18 and older and the Pfizer vaccine requires two doses 21 days apart for those 12 and older, according to the Louisiana Department of Health.

“We have not lost sight that the COVID-19 public health crisis continues in the U.S. and that the public is counting on safe and effective vaccines. The public and medical community can be confident that although we approved this vaccine expeditiously, it was fully in keeping with our existing high standards for vaccines in the U.S.,” said Peter Marks, director of FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research in a statement released by the FDA.

Following the FDA approval, COVID-19 vaccination is now being listed on the Northwestern State University of Louisiana immunization record form that is required from all on campus students when enrolling in the university.

“The practical application is no different than the process you underwent to comply with our immunization policy upon your initial enrollment,” Interim NSU President Marcus Jones said.

Current students that are vaccinated with either the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson and Johnson vaccines can email their COVID-19 vaccination card to [email protected].

“I would suggest students to get vaccinated,” Student Government Association President Taj’h Edwards said. “It is now required due to the FDA’s approval, and it would help us get back to some sort of normalcy.”
“Students must provide documentation of immunization against COVID-19 prior to the next registration period,” Jones said, noting the requirement is current state law.

“Alternatively, students may provide one of the following: one, documentation from a physician of medical contraindication for the vaccine, or two, a written dissent for taking the vaccine,” said Jones, mentioning the immunization compliance form found online at nsula.edu/admissions.

As of Sept. 10, 42.93 percent of Louisiana is fully vaccinated, as reported by USA Facts.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 35.14 percent of Natchitoches Parish is fully vaccinated.

NSU has planned several COVID-19 vaccine clinics for students, faculty and staff.

Vaccine clinics will be held at the Orville J. Hanchey Gallery on the Natchitoches campus on three consecutive Thursdays, Sept. 16, 23, 30 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

At the Alexandria campus, the vaccine clinics will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 15 and Thursday, Sept. 16 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.