SGA swears in five new senators

Timothy Holdiness

Speaker of the Senate Grace Gosserand and Treasurer Carly Blondin prepare for the weekly Student Government Association meeting.

The Student Government Association of Northwestern State University of Louisiana held their weekly meeting on Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. in the Hendrick Ballroom of the Friedman Student Union.

The SGA Advisor Shayne Creppel announced that he would be leaving NSU at the end of the week and that Mary-Katherine Horton would be taking over as advisor.

President Tja’h Edwards reported that the Louisiana Council of Student Body Presidents has been considering a stuff-the-bus event to benefit universities impacted by Hurricane Ida.

Treasurer Carly Blondin reported that university enrollment and percentages of returning students is down, causing the SGA budget to be smaller than in past years.

The SGA will be hosting Constitution Day in the Kyser Brickway on Friday, Sept. 17 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., reported Speaker of the Senate Grace Gosserand, who also stated that Voter Registration day is in the works for Tuesday, Sept. 28.

Academic Affairs Commissioner Nick Cooksey reported that the SGA is gathering questions and qualifications for the search committee for a new director of the Eugene P. Watson Memorial Library.

External Affairs Commissioner Juliana Lummus said that Meet Your Senator Day has been moved to the upstairs ballroom to a to be announced day.

President Edwards swore in five new Senators, Helen Kassahun, Madison Cook, Caleb Kirkorian, Emma Murphy and X’Zavier Rogers.

President Edwards appointed senators to the Committee on Organizations, the Disciplinary Appeals Committee, the Parking and Traffic Appeals Committee, the Parking and Traffic Committee, the Residential Life Committee, the Student Self-Assessed Fees Oversight Committee and the Wellness, Intramurals, Recreational Sports Advisory Committee.

Senators Thompson and Aggrey sponsored Resolution Fall 2021-01 stating “that the Student Government Association commends and supports student athletes, coaches, and athletic staff for their determination through challenging times and hard work in preparation for their respective seasons as they begin competition again.”

The SGA unanimously passed R. F. 2021-1. The resolution was made to encourage “the entire student body to support all sports and student athletes by attending sporting events while continuing to adhere to health regulations, so that athletics can continue to operate at full capacity.”

Senators White and McMillon sponsored Resolution Fall 2021-02. The resolution stated “that the Student Government Association congratulates Dr. Gregory on 60 years as a member of the NSU Faculty, and thanks him for his continuous service back to the university.”

The SGA unanimously passed R. G. 2021-2. The resolution’s purpose was “to congratulate and thank Dr. Gregory for serving the university as part of the Northwestern State University faculty.”