“Rocky Horror Picture Show:” an NSU tradition lives on

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is renowned for creative an exciting, safe performance for every person to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see the world a little differently.

NSU News Bureau

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” initially released in 1975, is an iconic piece of queer cinema that, as the years have passed, has become a cult classic and still remains popular with fans, new and old alike.

From elbow sex to having meatloaf for dinner, students and interested parties who are either fans of “Rocky Horror” or haven’t seen a showing before (don’t forget to ask for your Red “V” at the admissions stand) will be dazzled and intoxicated by this year’s production of the revolutionary show.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana has had a longstanding tradition of showing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” annually, typically as a one-night viewing. Traditionally, the showing was paired with clips from the movie, starring Tim Curry.

Actors lip-synced the characters’ monologues. Stage showings usually only featured live singing.

This year, however, the Northwestern State University School of Creative and Performing Arts will be hosting five showings of “Rocky Horror.” Rather than taking the traditional combination movie and singing route, the production follows the Broadway stage version.

My personal experience with the Broadway production of the show was limited until Wednesday evening. I’d only ever seen NSU’s traditional stage showing and the movie. I was pleasantly surprised to find that every line and song was performed live by the near-professional ensemble of students.

While the showing was still hosted by the Student Theatre Organization, the School of Creative and Performing Arts funded and directed the production.

This, overall, added to the quality of the production. Perhaps it was the exhilaration or the excitement, but every single actor, from the Phantoms to the narrator, from Frank to Brad and Janet, from Columbia to Rocky and Magenta and all the other extremely talented students, absolutely breathed new life into these characters.

Every audience member who walks out of the Fine Arts Auditorium in the A.A. Fredericks Arts Center will absolutely be unable to stop talking about Dr. Scott’s performance or Riff Raff’s belting (seriously, can we talk about Riff Raff’s belting?). I know that every time I leave a viewing or production of “Rocky Horror,” I’m left talking about something new I didn’t catch the last time I watched it.

Students are able and encouraged to attend the School of Creative and Performing Arts’ productions for free. Everyone in attendance is also able to purchase VIP tickets for ten dollars at the front desk, where they will be given a bag of props (to throw up in the air or directly in front of you, not at the actors!).

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is renowned for creating an exciting, safe performance for every person to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see the world a little differently. Don’t be afraid to do “The Time Warp” again!