SGA passes bill and announces new Watson Library director

Timothy Holdiness

Student Government Association Senator Madison Cook attends the weekly meeting.

At the Student Government Association of Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s weekly meeting on Oct. 25, President Tja’h Edwards announced that the six candidates for NSU President will be on campus Monday, Nov. 1 and Tuesday, Nov. 2 to be interviewed by the campus community.

Academic Commissioner Nicholas Cooksey announced that the library director search committee has extended a job offer to Megan Lowe of Monroe, which she has accepted.

Lowe is the current director of Libraries at the University of Louisiana at Monroe as well as a researcher and associate professor of library science, according to the University of Louisiana at Monroe faculty activities website.

Student Affairs Commissioner Bailey Willis announced that November is Native American Heritage Month and that there will be events throughout the month on campus.

Willis and Cooksey emphasized the partnership between the SGA and the Center for Inclusion and Diversity in planning the diverse events hosted at NSU.

Edwards announced and named members to the committee for Leadership NSU, which will organize the annual week-long informational featuring numerous speakers and sessions for students to attend.

The SGA unanimously passed R. G. 2021-05, “to thank past and present NSU students for their participation in NSU’s 2021 Homecoming festivities,” which was sponsored by Senators Leah Thompson and Nikolas Brunswik.

The SGA unanimously passed SB.F. 2021-01, “to make necessary edits to the Organizational Relief Fund guidelines,” which was sponsored by Senators Caroline Bourgeois and Zachary Forest.

Previous edits were made to the organizational relief fund guidelines at the Sept. 29 meeting of the SGA. Those edits updated the guidelines to remove the name of the recently abolished Student Activities Board and replace it with the newly formed University

Programming Council in two places of section two of the guidelines.

At the Oct. 25 meeting, the same bill was passed, with one additional change to the bill, this time in section three, lowering the max amount the organizational relief fund can reimburse organizations for approved trips from $7,500 to $6,000.