Winter break requires UP residents leave campus

Timothy Holdiness

Students in the four University Place buildings are sent home due to not having access to an oven to cook with and dining halls planning on being closed over the break.

Located in the lease of every on-campus resident at Northwestern State University of Louisiana is a section that informs students that if they live in the University Place dorms, they will not be allowed to stay in their dorms through the winter break.

University Housing has stated that students who must attend work can fill out a form with their office to be permitted to stay during the break.

“This is something that should be brought to students’ attention well before the holiday approaches,” said Josie Harbour, a freshmen ​​veterinary technology major.

Students in the four University Place buildings are sent home due to not having access to an oven to cook with and dining halls planning on being closed over the break. Varnado Hall has a full kitchen in the building’s ballroom while University Columns has ovens installed in all of its apartments.

“I understand why, I just wish more accommodations could be made to make sure students get to eat over the holiday instead of being left to fend for themselves,” said Harry Nash, junior criminal justice major. “Especially on a college campus during a pandemic.”

Having to leave campus over the break seems unnecessary to some students.

“I think it’s horrible that other dorms get to stay but UP students have to leave,” said Cassidy Blagg, a freshman electronic and continuing education major. “We pay to live there and we still have to pay for the time we aren’t there when they make us leave.”

Having to leave only to return shortly after the holiday feels excessive to some.

“I feel like it’s not fair that just because we chose to live in UP, we have to go home and then come right back,” Meghan Brown, a psychology freshman said. “It doesn’t make sense.”

The safety of students’ personal property is an issue that worries Brown.

“What if we don’t feel comfortable leaving our stuff unattended,” Brown said. “Locks can only do so much.”

While students may apply to stay over the break, the thought of some students having to go homeless if forced to leave worries some students.

Braxton Johnson, a fine and graphic arts freshman said, “I personally don’t live in UP, but I do think it’s sort of unfair because there are a lot of people that don’t or may no longer have homes outside of their dorms.”

“I think it is important for housing and dining on campus to know that some students only have NSU to call home,” said James Lowing, a sophomore communications major. “There may be students who have a place to go to, but aren’t welcomed and that may take a toll on their mental health.”