Letter from the incoming editor

Gene Franques

I have so many ideas of what I want to do with this paper that I hold so close to my heart, and I am incredibly thankful to have the opportunity to put them into action, but I know I will need help along the way.

Hi everyone, I’m Lora Luquet. I am the incoming editor-in-chief of the Current Sauce. That feels weird to say.

I have worked on the staff of the Current Sauce since the spring of 2020 in my freshman year, and the minute I stepped into my first staff meeting, I knew that being editor-in-chief was my end goal.

After my semester as a reporter, I applied for positions that I felt held more responsibility, such as arts and living editor and eventually copy editor, both of which I held for full academic years. I took a class in my department taught by the amazing Melody Gilbert (who encouraged me to join the Current Sauce in the first place) that published a magazine, of which I was a co-managing editor.

I pushed myself way out of my introverted little comfort zone into leadership positions because I really, really wanted this position. Now, here I am.

I admit that I feel a lot of pressure (albeit, self-inflicted) to live up to the standards that the amazing female editors that I have had the privilege to work with have set before me. These women, along with my retired journalist mom and every teacher I’ve had in the New Media, Journalism, and Communication Arts department have taught me everything I know about journalism.

It is my wish that the Current Sauce continue to report on the things that students deserve to know about. If there are unanswered questions about something going on around campus, I want the Current Sauce to become the place to look for those answers. I promise to report the truth and nothing less.

On top of that, I will devote my year as your editor to highlighting the hard work of our university to the best of my ability, from students and faculty to clubs and events. I am looking forward to expanding our features not only to amazing students and faculty members but also to the various clubs on our campus.

I am unbelievably excited for the fall semester to start so I can make my dreams a reality. To everyone who believed in me and helped me get there, thank you for putting your faith in me. I really needed it.

A special thank you to my mom, Lori Lyons. I worked hard to get here, and you have been by my side every step of the way. Thank you for proofreading all of my articles and reassuring me that they’re good. Thank you for putting up with my late-night, anxiety-filled calls when I was going through the application process. I couldn’t have gotten here without you.

Here’s to a wonderful 2022-2023 academic year.