NSU breaks the ground for new Robert Alost building

Lia Portillo Cantarero

On March 14, 2023, white and purple shovels were lined up against the ground for fellow area legislators, special guests and Northwestern State University of Louisiana’s administration to mark the moment of a building that will serve the next generations of Demons.

The grounds that used to hold the old Caddo Hall are now barren, only shovels away to break the ground for the new Robert Alost Hall to begin construction.

Marcus Jones, NSU president, explains the significance of an event like this groundbreaking, emphasizing the mark that it leaves for NSU and its campus life.

“Generally you would do a groundbreaking and shortly after the groundbreaking you would start seeing heavy equipment, workers and contractors on site to begin the actual construction process of the building,” Jones said.

After the groundbreaking, Jones said that Alost Hall has an estimated 18 months completion time from the first day that construction occurs.

While the new building has often been referred to as the Kyser replacement, it is an addition to Kyser Hall, Jones said. “We’ll still use Kyser and some of the offices are not going to be as fortunate to be able to move to the new structure, but they will have additional space in Kyser.”

The groundbreaking ceremony, Jones explains, is a spark for the community to witness the beginning steps of construction and to enjoy the reality of finally starting this project.

“This is the largest capital outlay project that we have seen in years on this campus,” Jones said. “Seeing a state-of-the-art building that is going to be innovative that will allow professors and students to have access to this facility is exciting to see.”

During the groundbreaking, Gov. John Bel Edwards confessed that seven years ago Louisiana had disinvested in higher education and this ceremony shows the resilience of investing in higher education again.

“I just want you to know that it’s [Alost Hall] incredibly significant for everybody, and for students who are not even on this campus yet, for students who aren’t even born yet, they’re going to benefit from this investment,” Edwards said. “In a very real way this groundbreaking is a testament to the work that we have all done collectively to invest in higher education.”

Since 2017 there has been an increase in investments in higher education: TOPS funding has increased by $117 million dollars, faculty salary has increased to $52 million dollars, Go Grant funding for need-based students has increased to $29 million dollars, $5 million dollars for Title IX support also, Edwards said.

“This groundbreaking demonstrates the capital construction budget has improved tremendously,” he said, adding that the Alost building investment is priced at $44 million dollars.

For University of Louisiana System President, Jim Henderson, this ceremony was a time of reflection as a student and a past president of NSU.

He realizes the many memories that students that have come to NSU have created and even shared his story of meeting his wife in Kyser room 225. It’s those stories that many students will be able to experience in this new building, he said.

“That forevermore, the students that come to this university seeking whatever life holds for them will walk the halls of a building with his name is monumental,” Henderson said. “This is the oldest permanently dedicated site for higher education that exists in the state of Louisiana, this is sacred ground, and forevermore this sacred ground will be adorned by an academic building under the name Bobby Alost.”

The legislators and members of the UL System have pushed through this project and have allowed for this groundbreaking to occur, Henderson said. He also adds that it is the actions to get this building constructed and to name it after a president who has cared for and contributed to NSU throughout his whole career that makes a difference for future generations.

“What it says for the hundreds of thousands of future Demons that will walk those halls is that you matter and that you can be anything that you aspire to be,” Henderson said.