NSU expands acamdemic opportunities for soldiers at Fort Johnson

Madelyn Murphy
Lt. Col. Joshua Drake, professor of military science, sat down with The Current Sauce to give more information about Memorandum of Understanding between NSU and Ft. Johnson.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana has extended and renewed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) made with Fort Johnson, formerly known as Fort Polk.

Marcus Jones, president of NSU, said that the renewed MOU now allows active-duty military soldiers the opportunity to gain up to 16 hours of college credit by completing an Observer Coach Training Academy.

“Every year, we’re constantly defining what we offer, not just for active duty military and their dependents but for all our students,” Jones said. “We are constantly looking for pathways for them to get a degree.”

Jones explained the extension of programs that came with the MOU renewal.

“Before the finding of the most recent MOU renewal, there were 7 program areas mainly in military science or criminal justice, but our dean department heads have worked to look at any other areas and they identified 20 additional programs whereby the military can get additional credit,” Jones said.

This program aims to be beneficial for active-duty soldiers because their training doubles as credit hours toward a graduate degree. This renewed MOU also offers convenience, as the Leesville campus is right outside the gates of Fort Johnson.

Lt. Col. Joshua Drake, professor of military science, said active duty military members can still do their job and pursue a bachelor’s or master’s degree. Soldiers are also able to get college credit for some training if they’ve taken classes online. If they are going for a master’s program, they get nine credit hours, and for a bachelor’s program, 16 credit hours. If the military personnel were to choose the bachelor’s program, taking one additional course would give them a minor in military science.

Active duty soldiers can also be offered financial aid according to Laurie Morrow, NSU’s executive director for Economic Development, Innovation and Outreach.

“In addition to the service member, his/her eligible dependents may qualify for tuition assistance,” Morrow said.

Morrow believes this program to be proof of NSU’s strive to better their programs for both military members and families of military members.

“The signing of this MOU and articulation represents months of collaboration between NSU and Fort Johnson,” Morrow said. “Our college deans and respective department heads have worked tirelessly to see that we provide the best opportunities for our military personnel. It has been very rewarding to see this come to fruition.”

For more information on the college course credit option or the graduate program, contact Lt. Col. Joshua Drake at [email protected] to be connected with an academic advisor.

Information on NSU’s Department of Military Science is available at www.nsula.edu/rotc.