Demons defeat Cowboys

JACOB HICKS
Reporter

Northwestern State Basketball saw a week off from play pay off with a 78-65 away win against McNeese State.

The Demons, who are 8-9 on the season, picked up their second away win against a struggling Cowboys’ side who are 6-12.

Sabri Thompson led the way for NSU, with 21 points in the game, including two assists.

“These last two nights have been crazy,” Thompson said. “Leading our team in points the last few games is always a good feeling. I’m always trying to help my team succeed in any way I can.”

Thompson also had a career night against Nicholls, scoring an amazing 38 points, including draining seven out of 14 3-pointers in the close win.

The Demons are still without star shooting guard Zeek Woodley since he broke his right wrist back in December. Woodley is the leading scorer for NSU and is the sixth-leading active shooter in the NCAA, with a career average of 19.3 points per game. He is not expected to be back until mid-Febuary.

Josh Boyd led the Demons in assists on the night with six, as well as scoring 11 points, while Tra’von Joseph led in rebounds with nine.

“The key to the ballgame was our rebounding and defensive effort,” NSU Head Coach Mike McConathy said. “We tried to keep their shooters from catching the ball and when we did that, we made nice runs. Our post defense was good and that wasn’t in our first game against them, and it made a big difference.”

The Demons defense held strong against the Cowboys, holding them to only 23 points in the first half.

NSU will try to make two wins in a row when they travel to their second of four away games against Southeastern on Wednesday, Jan. 25. With a win they will make it back to .500 with twelve games to go in the season. The Demons will finish out their away games agains al Arkansas next week.