Shooting on Second Street

MADDIE FRY
Reporter

Three gunshots were fired on Second Street near the corner of Demeziere Street on Jan. 17. The Natchitoches Police Department responded to a call from the victim reporting that three unidentified men shot at him at 11:30 p.m.

The men in question drove a white Ford Crown Victoria and a green SUV. Although no injuries were reported, eyewitnesses were stunned by the incident.

One NSU student, who chooses to remain anonymous, witnessed the incident while hanging out on a friend’s porch.

“I was just hanging out with a friend, having a beer and remarking on how pleasant of a night it was at the time,” they said. “They were fighting in the street, one shorter lady and one taller guy. Then the lady yelled, ‘Don’t you do it! Don’t you fucking dare!’”

The witness said that one man then pulled out a gun and fired six rounds into the Crown Vic. The two scattered in separate directions, and the car sped away.

The Natchitoches Police Department is currently investigating this incident.

This shooting has left residents of Second Street in Natchitoches feeling uneasy.

One resident speculated on the reputation Natchitoches has in relation to the amount of crime.

“I think that the prevalence of crime in Natchitoches is largely hidden by the facade of a quaint, Southern town,” they said.

If anyone has any additional information about this incident, please contact Detective Beard as (318)-238-3914.